Monday, February 1, 2010

Overpriced Jerk-Off



Saw two films this weekend on DVD.
"Inglourious Basterds" and "Precious". Two of the more hyped films of the last year (or years).

Watched Basterds first and was super pumped for it... only to be left wondering where all the radness went. What is this? I was hoping for a WWII QT flick and instead got some music video, confused, overpriced jerk off session. Yes, there are fine moments in the movie (the scene in the basement pub) and some kick ass acting (Christoph Waltz ya heard)... but they are too sparse. This movie comes across as the most "Hey, look at me. I'm directing!" film of QT's career. So overblown and so pretentious. True, dude can write some great dialogue every now and then, but who can't? I want great dialogue throughout the whole piece like Tarantino did in the beginning. I'm gonna give this guy 2 more chances to make another killer film, something he hasn't done since "Jackie Brown", and then I'm done with his stupid ass. He can join the other young disappointers like Spike Lee and M. Night Shymalan.

"Precious" on the other hand was pretty damn good. Yeah, it has some serious foul-mouthed after-school special qualities to it, but for the most part it was just a good filmmaking. Interesting characters, narrative, photography and damn good acting. Mo'Nique and this new girl Gabourey Sidibe were just excellent. I don't know which one was better, to hard to say, but wow, the scenes with them together are some of the most intense I've seen in a while. Way more intense than any scene in Basterds that's for sure. I guess I need to see Lee Daniels' other film "Shadowboxer"... the cast is ridiculous. Oh yeah, how about the posters for "Precious"? Really good.

No comments: